Canole Theatre is a new theatre space in French Dordogne near Monpazier. We run trainings in Theatre/Clowning & Improvisation and aim to bring shows and cultural activities in both French and English in this region that is home to a lot of British and Dutch people as well. This space is big and wild and we wish to create a community of artists we could welcome and support in their creation process who'd be keen to help us restore and embellish this place.
We have 2 spots available:
What we offer
1 week free accomodation for up to 6 people in these wooden chalets
2 Rehearsal spaces :
1 heated 70 square meters indoor space
1 semi outdoor theatre space with a lighting rig.
2 hectares of garden & Monpazier medieval village 5 min walk away.
Who are we looking for
- Theatre makers, puppeteers, clowns, any artists who need a rehearsal/R&D space AND who like gardening (mowing the lawn, cutting bamboo roots, cleaning the river from branches & leaves etc) or restoring work (mainly protecting chalets & outdoor wooden furniture with oil.)
- Artists who are happy to share their work at the end of their residency week. We don't expect a finished show but one of our aim being to develop a cultural activity in the region, we wish to open our doors to our creative explorations.
- The deal is relatively flexible schedule wise but the idea, just like when Woofing, is that you would help us in the mornings and then could use the space as you wish in the afternoons and evenings. Food isn't included (Except for the welcome meal) but we will arrange your transport to and from Bergerac airport or train station.
- If you are interested, please send us an email with a link to your work (website or video/pictures) and a short introduction of the idea you wish to explore. Please put "residency" in the title of your email.
- We will then arrange a whatsapp call to discuss the project in more details with you.
- To avoid cancellations, please note that we will require £100 deposit that will be refunded on your arrival.
Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions!
The Canole Theatre team.